The most embarassing thing that could happen when you're dressed up for an interview or a formal dinner, is an all-consuming need to scratch an itchy scalp and also know that a cascade of white flakes would follow, onto a jet black blazer- laid bare for all to see. Dandruff is a medical problem that has managed to unite over half the adult population across the world - beyond gender, age and race.
What Causes Dandruff?
This scalp condition is caused by a fungus, Malassezia, which feeds on sebum (the oily matter secreted by the sebaceous glands on our scalp) and the dead skin cells which occur naturally due to formation of new skin. Although this microbe is a normal part of the scalp, this is when it turns problematic- the fungus feeds on sebum, breaking it down into fatty acids that may irritate the sensitive scalp of many. This is also the reason for dryness and itchiness on the scalp, leading to the dead skin cells accumulating into visible flakes. The level of sensitivity of people to these fatty acids determines whether they develop acute or mild dandruff.
Coconut Oil & Lemon Massage
Coconut oil nourishes your hair, while lemon juice helps to treat dandruff at home without using harmful chemicals. Given below is the easiest dandruff home remedy:
- Step 1: Heat 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and mix it with equal amounts of lemon juice.
- Step 2: Massage your scalp gently with the mixture.
- Step 3: Leave it on for 20 minutes before rinsing if off with shampoo.
Dandruff treatment can be carried out at home with baking soda as well. The remedy to use baking soda for dandruff treatment is given below:
- Step 1: Wet your hair slightly.
- Step 2: Keeping your hair wet, rub a spoonful of baking soda on your scalp.
- Step 3: Leave it on for 60-90 seconds prior to washing it off.
Neem has anti-bacterial properties and is an amazing home remedy for dandruff. The method given below is easy and mess-free.
- Step 1: Grind a bunch of neem leaves in a food processor to form a thick paste.
- Step 2: Apply this paste on your scalp and let it sit for 10 minutes or so.
- Step 3: Wash it off with water.
Multani Mitti Hair Pack
Multani mitti helps to restore hair health. This simple dandruff remedy using multani mitti gives you soft, silky hair and dandruff-free hair.
- Step 1: Make a thick paste using multani mitti, water and a dash of lemon juice.
- Step 2: Apply this mixture on your hair and scalp and leave it on for about 20 minutes
- Step 3: Rinse it off with water.
Orange Peel Pack
Orange peel is another dandruff remedy that can be tried at home. Read how to use orange peel pack for dandruff removal below:
- Step 1: Throw an orange peel in a food processor and squeeze in some lemon juice too.
- Step 2: Grind all the ingredients into a paste.
- Step 3: Apply this paste on your scalp and let it sit for 30 minutes before washing it off with a mild shampoo.
Remember, all these remedies need to be applied at least thrice a week for best results; continue to do so till you see the difference. Aren’t you happy that you’re now empowered to do your own dandruff treatment at home?