Dark circles under the eyes are a common complaint of both men and women, although they can occasionally be seen in children. As the age advances, skin becomes thinner and collagen is lost, sometimes enhancing the appearance of blood vessels beneath the eyes and making the skin appear darker.
What are the reasons for dark circles?It’s a combination of heredity and genetics, fatigue and dehydration, but most likely the culprit causing chronic dark circles is excess skin pigmentation which happens because of ethnic variation for Indian population. Sun exposure increases the chances of dark circles.
Also, dark circles are related to dilated blood vessels and aging – which causes skin to thin and can darken the area. Unfortunately, to erase them completely is not possible. However, you can minimize their effects and get rid of dark circles by knowing their causes and finding good solutions.
Here are the top 8 ways to get rid of dark circles fast.
1. Almond OilAlmond oil is a great natural ingredient that is very beneficial for the delicate skin around your eyes. Regular usage of almond oil will help fade your under eye circles. In addition to almond oil, you can use vitamin E oil to eliminate dark circles under the eyes.
- Before going to bed, apply a little almond oil over the dark circles and gently massage it into the skin.
- Leave it on overnight.
- The next morning, wash it off with cold water.
- Follow this remedy daily until the dark circles disappear.
2. CucumberCucumbers have skin-lightening and mild astringent properties that help fix those raccoon eyes naturally. Plus, they have a soothing and refreshing effect.
- Cut a fresh cucumber into thick slices and chill them in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Put the slices onto the affected skin area for about 10 minutes. Wash the area with water. Repeat twice daily for about a week or more.
- Another option is to mix cucumber juice with lemon juice in equal amounts. Use a cotton ball to apply the mixture on the affected skin. Leave it on for 15 minutes and then wash it off with water. Follow this remedy daily for at least one week.
3. Raw PotatoThere are natural bleaching agents present in potato that can help lighten dark circles and get rid of puffiness around the eyes.
- Grate one or two raw potatoes to extract the juice. Soak a cotton ball in the juice and place it over your closed eyes. Make sure the juice covers the dark circles under your eyes as well as the eyelids. Allow the juice to sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Rinse your eyelids well with cool water. Repeat once or twice daily for a few weeks.
- Instead of potato juice, you can also use thick potato slices to remove dark circles.
4. Rose WaterRose water has incredible ingredient for skin care. It rejuvenates the skin and has a soothing effect on tired eyes. Due to its mild astringent properties, it also works as a good skin toner.
- Soak cotton eye pads in pure rose water for a few minutes.
- Put the soaked pads on your closed eyelids.
- Leave them on for about 15 minutes.
- Follow this remedy twice daily for a few weeks. www.allayurved.com
5. TomatoTomatoes have bleaching properties that can lighten skin to a great extent.
- Mix one teaspoon of tomato juice with one-half teaspoon of lemon juice. Gently apply this mixture on the dark circles and allow it to sit for 10 minutes. Rinse it off with water. Follow this remedy twice a day for a few weeks. Simply using tomato juice will also work.
- You can also drink a glass of tomato juice with some mint leaves, lemon juice and salt. For maximum results, be sure to drink this juice immediately after making it. Drink it once or twice a day for about a week.
6. Lemon JuiceThe vitamin C present in lemon juice can also help remove dark circles under the eyes, thanks to its skin-lightening properties.
- Use a cotton ball to apply fresh lemon juice around your eyes. Leave it on for about 10 minutes and rinse it off. Do this once daily for a few weeks.
- Another option is to make a thick paste by mixing one tablespoon of lemon juice, two tablespoons of tomato puree, a pinch of gram flour (besan) and turmeric powder. Apply this thick paste gently around your eyes. Rinse it off with clean water after 10 to 15 minutes. Repeat two or three times every week.
7. Green Tea Bags
Rich in antioxidants and tannins, green tea bags can help lighten dark circles. The tannins in tea also reduce swelling and puffiness.
- Boil two green tea bags in one-half cup of water for 10 minutes.
- Remove the tea bags and cool them in the refrigerator for half an hour.
- Put the cold tea bags over your eyes for about 15 minutes.
- Follow this remedy twice daily for at least 10 days to get positive results.
Milk contains lactic acid that helps soften and moisturize the skin under the eyes. Also, milk has protein, enzymes, amino acids and antioxidants that are required to strengthen the skin and heal damaged skin. Milk can be used as a cold compress to treat dark circles and reduce eye puffiness.
- Protection:Use an SPF 30 sunscreen daily. A moisturizer as a base and a concealer can also be used to cover up as a protective layer.
- Diet changes:If you have puffy eye bags along with dark circles then reducing salt intake can help in reducing the puffiness.
- Don’t rub the eyes,as rubbing makes it darker www.allayurved.com
- Use of eye brightening appllicant every night will help in reducing the lines around the eyes and eventually helps to get rid of dark circles.
- After drinking chamomile tea,don’t throw the tea bags away. Put them in the refrigerator to chill and then place them over your eyes for 10 minutes three times a week, which will help you to get rid of dark circles.
- Potatoes have natural bleaching properties that can help lighten dark circles. They can also help get rid of the puffiness around the eyes.
- A dermatologist’s consultation and under eye treatments available at the dermatologist clinic should be considered if everything else fails.